Friday, August 18, 2006

First Week of School

I have decided to have my students create blogs. In A.P. English the students will use blogs to react to the reading we do and to share their ideas about writing. In English 10 I need to think specifically about the type of writing I want them to do. In the past, I've had students do "free writing," where they furiously and spontaneously write about their thoughts, memories, or feelings about a topic. Such writing is designed to get the kids to record their innermost ideas--to capture images that sit somewhere in their brains. The theory is that sometimes these uncensored thoughts produce very vivid, authentic prose. At first I thought the blog could be used in this way, but then I realized that the strength of free-writing is that it is uncensored, private, and free. Of course one doesn't want to put such writing on the internet. Duh. Blogs are supposed to be edited carefully--so I need to think some more about what I want to use them for in English 10. I certainly don't want the blog to be just a diary. I want it to be more intellectual--and I want students to write well. Interesting, though, I am free-writing on my blog!!!!! I need to continue talking to people and thinking about my goals. Next week, I hope to have a better idea about my intent.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Thanks for sharing your "free writing" with all of us. These are all great points to consider. While I agree that a blog might not be the best place for their free writing as you describe it, I would disagree somewhat with the statement that blogs always have to be edited carefully. I think it depends on the purpose of the blog - or the particular post within the blog. I think sometimes the blog can be more "exploratory thinking," and that the student's thinking can change with time, feedback, and the student's reflection. And other times, of course, posts should be carefully thought out and edited. It all depends on the purpose of the post . . .

Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:36:00 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

What I have found that works with the 9th graders are topics that are debatable. Ex. Was Romeo and Juliet really in love? Discuss your opinions. Then, the next blog would be for them to prove what they believe in the text. Another example: Are teenagers truly capable of love? Discuss with examples. Then, I pull up samples from the class blog and share them as the springboard for discussion.

Monday, August 21, 2006 4:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home