Thursday, August 24, 2006

Well, I've Jumped In

Along with everyone else at Arapahoe, it seems, I have set up a class blog. One of my Advanced Placement students asked, "What's a blog?" which made me realize that the flattening of the world is happening so fast that even the kids' heads are spinning. My students were very patient and helpful as I made my clumsy way through the procedure. Once the kids posted, I began to see the power of this technique. They shared their ideas about a topic for the essay they will write next week--and then I blogged a response to each kid. Tonight, they are going to post their thesis statements. I like this very much, because the kids can get ideas from each other--and they can read the comments I make to each of the students. I'm hoping this will result in more interesting and probing essays. I also urged my class to look at the thesis statements that will be posted in Terry's and Lary's A.P. classes.

Now that the blog is up, the students come up with creative ways to use it. For instance, during class discussion, students take turns recording notes on the computer. The kids decided to post these notes to the blog so they can access them later. They also asked me to create a link to the blog on my web page. I was going to abandon my web page--but now I think I'll keep it and modify it so it isn't as time-consuming to maintain as it was last year.

I really, really need a secretary. When I first started teaching, we had a para-professional for the English department whose job it was to organize our books and type our exams. I would love to have someone in our department who could free me from tedious jobs like data entry, attendance, etc. Maybe we could outsource such work to India? (JK)

3 Comments:

Blogger Karl Fisch said...

Wow, great post! Would you consider sharing with us the URL of your class blog? If you send it to me, I'll add it to the list of class blogs that appear on the side of The Fischbowl.

I, of course, think blogging is a great tool, but we do need to make sure it's the right tool for the goal you have in mind. In this case, I think it's perfect. And in my experience, students will think of new ways to use the technology.

Ah, yes, time. I don't have a good answer for that one. But I do have a good question. How much of what you're doing right now for the students can they do for themselves? I think sometimes we try to do too much for them and - if we can step back a little bit - it will free up more time to allow us to do the things that we should be doing for - or with - students.

Thursday, August 24, 2006 6:07:00 PM  
Blogger Davis said...

I love, Cheryl, that you not only started blogging, but in a very student-centered manner, allowed the students to continue creating value for blogging: notes of the class, links to one to another, etc.

The thesis statement idea is also brilliant. I am curious to see how it went. Were they as thoughtful as you hoped they were? Do you think it mattered who posted his/her ideas first (setting or lowering the bar?)? Just curious.

Great job not only getting your feet wet, but drenching yourself in the world of blogging!

Monday, August 28, 2006 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger Lary Kleeman said...

Cheryl,
Tomorrow our essays come in...it will be real interesting to see if there is a significant difference in these first-of-the-year thesis statements/arguements. If so, could the blogging be responsible? I, too, feel that the blog worked well for the commentary on the thesis statements. After an hour and a half, getting up from commenting on them, it felt as though I had been more efficient in the commentary.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 2:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home